Friday, December 14, 2007

Fight Like Apes/Untitled Musical Project

Korova, Liverpool, 11/12/07.

This turned out to be one of the most bizarre but interesting evenings of the year. Got up to Liverpool handy and checked with the venue time of doors. Korova normally runs late anyway so a 9pm start gave me plenty of time to eat. I was also wondering how well this would be attended as Liverpool FC were playing an important European match this night.
I got back there at about 9:15 and went in, hmm! I was the only one there apart from band members and small entourage. Then another lad walks in and would you believe I knew him. I see him at a lot of shows and we always say hi to each other but I've never actually had a proper conversation with him.After a while it was obvious we were the only people going to turn up here apart from some friends of the bands themselves. One of the guys from Untitled Musical Project came out onto the floor and handed Chris and myself a beer and said "you may as well join us". It was literally a case of the 15 people in the room saying lets make the best of this and party it. Fight Like Apes came on first. A four piece (recommended by Julia) from Dublin at first I thought they were going to a bit "Los Campesinosish" but they soon got into a stride. Difficult to categorise really though. I really enjoyed them, MayKay at times came out onto the main floor, literally. In fairness to them they put on a good set of catchy electronica rock in front of a non audience.

Next up were Untitled Musical Project (UMP) I've seen these before supporting TVEGC at this venue as it happens. I found them a little too screemy last time but I took to them here.
Maybe it was the situation and a lot of banter between songs. Their vocal is a little too screemy for me generally but they were good fun and made the best of the situation.

After the show I bought the FLA EP of MayKay.
It was then that Kieran from UMP announced that it was his birthday. So up to the bar for everybody it was. We ended up having a really good night. I got talking to a guy who's name I forget now who was from a band called the Vagabonds. He said he has been recording the Victorian English recently so we had a good chat about them.
This was a strange but enjoyable evening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The London show wasn't dissimilar. I'd done a bit of Christmas shopping and was just about to get something to eat when I checked with the doorman what time FLA were on and he said 7.30 - 10 minutes' time. Aaarrggh! I left all my shopping for poor Alice to take home and headed in. Yep, I was the only one there too. By the time FLA came on quarter of an hour later this had swelled a bit to about 20 or so, but it did seem like most of those were the other bands or mates of them. FLA did well but it's got to be disheartening to play to such a small crowd and they did seem a bit frustrated. MayKay was having trouble with her mike stand and ended up kicking it away in exasperation. They all were really unhappy with the sound in their monitors too and had to make ever more frantic gestures to the soundguy to get it fixed.I really enjoyed them again though. The other shame was that this had been specifically arranged as an all ages show and there was no-one under their mid-20s there I wouldn't say.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 2:27:00 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

The smallest crowd I've seen was for Partyline. Despite Alison Wolfe being somewhat of a riot grrrl legend, there were maybe 12 people there and the next night about the same.

Still, it made for a memorable experience much like yrs and dare I say, a more intimate show.

Thursday, December 27, 2007 12:08:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home