Sunday, November 19, 2006

Rogers Sisters, 1990's and CSS.

Liverpool, 15/11/06

Left Manchester after a great night, strolled into Picadilly at about 11am. There was a train at 11:07 to Liverpool, some people who know me will laugh at this. I am a "lucky traveller". So off I go. Get to L'pool about 12ish and book into my hotel. There are a couple of things I want to do in town. Check the location of the Korova club (I haven't been there before) and check if I remember where the French restaurant I ate in the time before last is. I also keep an eye out to see if anything comes to mind to get Ruth for her 50th birthday next week (this week now). I have an afternoon wandering round find the venue, go straight to the restaurant, what a great memory. Anyway about 6:30 - 6:45 I decide to go and eat. Another good meal, when I order a coffee at the end I ask the poor French girl for a double espresso with a little white milk on the side. White milk? I joked that I don't like purple milk. The poor girl had no idea what I was on about. I set off and get to the Korova about 8:25.

The Korova is a small club with the stage area in the basement. When I get there they aren't letting people down yet and are gonna open the area at about 9:30. I stay upstairs and have a couple of beers. A queue starts to form at the door about 9:30 so I join and wait, then the bloody fire alarm goes off. We are all ushered outside, where it's raining, and wait. Fortunately we were only out for about 20-25 mins, then back in line, and in. I buy a couple of beers and go to the front on stage right. Stage? there is no stage, a step to a very small area, I'm already thinking this is the wrong venue for this gig.
Forgive me but I'm going to review the bands the wrong way round here as it was the Rogers I was there to primarily see.

CSS.
By the time CSS took the "stage" the place was packed and crammed right to the front. The band couldn't even get on, security had to litterally carve an entrance for them. They are a 5 piece Brazillian band 4 girls and 1 guy. The area was just too small for a five piece band, the crowd was very lively and with there being no barrier people kept falling into the stage. It was pretty chaotic. Eventually security had to move themselves to the front, crouch down and create a barrier. In all this spoilt it a bit they were good to listen too and had some good energy but I'm sure given a larger area to work in, they would be very enjoyable.


1990's

I'll admit I didn't know much about these going to this show. They are a three piece Scotish band playing pop/rock. Best point of ref I can give would be Franz I suppose. The bass player who was quite a big chap kept asking if anyone had a spare ciggy. The audience to great hilarity nicknamed him Van Nistilroy, he did had an uncanny resemblance to the Dutch horse though. They were ok, I must get round to checking their stuff out.

The Rogers Sisters.

I got to the front right of the stage on Miyuki side, as he 's the one generally who gives out the most energy. It was good to see them again they played a good, if short, set. Some new stuff was played which sounded good. Miyiki said about the fire alarm, so I said "what is it with you and fire alarms, I remember DC". Jennifer was on good form this night she seemed more focused than NYC, and Miyiki was as energetic as normal, given the space he had. I grabed his setlist after and then realised they played nothing like it, weird!.
I'm looking forward to seeing the same gig in the Academy in Manchester in 3 weeks. A venue far more suitable I think.

As a footnote here. The following day after I left the hotel and was half way down the elevator to the train, I realised I did not have my mp3 player with me. I got back to the hotel asap but It had gone. Wether it was robbed during the night or by the cleaners it's hard to tell, but £200 worth of kit gone. I'm just a bit angry with myself for letting it happen. It's replaceable I know but imagine the shock the scally whose mits it ended up in will get when he turns it on. I bet he's never heard S-K, EE, Gossip, The VEG Club, Kristin, Wave, Giant Drag, Mary Timony, Metric, Midlake, Quasi, Modest Mouse, amongst others. On a positive note I have educated someone into some decent rock'n'nroll. It's always been my mission.


1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I saw CSS recently when they opened for E.S.G. and they were ok, nothing amazing.

The lead singer seemed to really be into it, good energy and the crowd was really dancing.

I would love to see the Rogers Sisters again. It would bring back some memories but also want to see them as their own.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home