Thursday, October 19, 2006

Erase Errata.

Brudenell Social club,Leeds 16/10/06

Arrived in Leeds about 2;30 pm. Decided to find the venue first as my hotel was only 10 mins from there. As I had feared it's one of those 70's style social clubs in a rough residential part of Leeds about 20/30 mins from the city center. It seemed a strange place for EE to play, as my memory of those places is not good. I get myself sorted, find the hotel which was fine for the price with a nice clean room. I walk to the city center (20 mins) to have a pint in my fave Leeds pub, and set my usual search for something decent to eat. Eventually settle for the Cafe' Rouge, ok it's a chain I know but I've eaten in the one in Bristol and that's very good. I got back to the hotel about 7 pm and decide to have a siesta for an hour. Got to the venue about 8:15, there were quite a few people about, and the sort of crowd I expected. It was £5 to get in and I was quite surprised it's not a bad little place (nothing like a "social club"). It had 2 levels split by 5/6 steps in a crescent, with the bar at the back. There was a band setting up in front of the raised stage as I got in. Anyway 2 other bands follow suit and play "on the floor" in front of the stage which I thought strange. They must be leaving the stage for EE, I thought, nope! they too set up there, as they do I make sure I get my spec on Ellies side as recomended by Andy. With there being no natural barrier between audience and crowd we moved increasingly closer to the band, which gave me a real close view of them.

They run through a set of mostly Nightlife material which came over realy well live. A couple of times Ellie had to go over to Jennys side to add some vocal. I still couldn't believe they were working in such a small space, great though.
At the end I literally stepped over Ellies monitor and grabed her set list
After the show I went to the merch table and bought a shirt, a blue Nightlife one which is realy nice. As I was walking from the table I almost bumped into Jenny, so I told her I had enjoyed the set, and thanks. In all I enjoyed the expierience and they did impress me as musicians. I hope it's not too long before I see them again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Thanks for the writeup!

Jenny is so sweet in person and it's quite a contrast to her stage persona.

That's a nice setlist too with the tiny sublist at the bottom. Did they end up doing "Owls?" That's the one I always read them doing but I've never heard it live. T_T

Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:00:00 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

... and just to be sure, you mis-spelled their name on purpose right?

Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home