Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A cross where "a cross" should not be.

Last night I finished the book I was reading Dont Ever Tell by Kathy O'Beirne. If the truth be known not the sort of thing I would normally read. An account of a young girl in Ireland who suffered terrible abuse at the hands of the mainly "religious institutions", throughout her childhood. I picked up the book at the airport on my way to Portland the day the s**t hit the fan in Airport world.

I don't think I have ever openly wept as much while reading, not even books on the Holocaust have moved me as much. The physical, mental torture and sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of so called religious people was appalling (it is a true story by the way).

Now people who know me know that I am fiercely anti-religious, though being brought up in a srictly catholic household. Now the reason for mentioning this is, some people may have noticed I have been wearing a cross arround my neck for the several months. My point being that I refuse to see this "symbol" as religious, as I don't believe in such c**p. So though the world sees it as a "religious cross" I view it as just a piece of metal moulded into a certain shape.

My point being that having read "Dont Ever Tell" I feel it impossible to break the mould of these so called "good institutions". I feel as Kathy did in her book, it is a battle you will never win. I feel in my own mind as though I have made my point (though no one will ever have "got" it).

So it is time to remove the cross where a cross should not be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home