Monday, December 14, 2009

Malkmus & The Jicks

The Deaf Institute, Manchester. 10/12/09.

Decided to to this one for a couple of reasons one to catch up with Dame Janet and also it seemed strange Malkmus was playing such a small venue.

I was off this day so it gave me chance to get to Manchester early, spend some money in Piccadilly records and mooch. After something to eat local to the venue I made my way and got there about 7:10 ish, doors were at 7:30.

Got myself a drink and stood at the foot of the stairs leading to the venue. There was a young lad sat on the stairs fiddling about with his phone after a few moments he looked up at me and asked "are you from the Isle of Man ?".

"Er no but I do visit frequently as my girlfriend lives there, why do you ask ?".

He pointed to the three legs of Man badge on my bag. Ah that gave it away then. We started chatting, he himself was from Douglas but was over in Sheffield Uni. We talked for a while mostly about music. It was the first time he'd been to the venue and I was telling him what a lovely little venue it was. We soon got let in and he fell in love with the place immediately. We took a position at the very front of the stage. Support band were called Glasrock, not sure if that's how you spell it. A six piece that found it difficult to fit all on the small stage. Wasn't sure if I liked them but they weren't bad. Malkmus came on soon after with Dame Janet looking very well. I was stood just to SMs right which is the best position as he tends to stand a little 'side on' so to speak. He also has a tendency to kick out with his left foot which a couple of times came close to catching me in the head. They played a very good sharp set of about 10 -12 songs finishing with 'Baltimore'. Janet was on typically super form too.

On the way out I managed to have a nice little chat with Janet. She asked if I was going to ATP that weekend. Unfortunately not. I asked her if there was any Quasi material in the offing, 'yes' she replied it's all done and "in the can" due out next year. I also asked if the SK DVD was ever going to see the light of day. She said that it would and was all down to Lance (Corin's husband) who was busy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home