Friday, December 12, 2008

The Vivian Girls

The Deaf Institute, Manchester, 10/12/08.
The Vivian Girls are a three piece from Brooklyn. I forget how I came across them but I imported their album a while ago and really liked it. I spotted they were playing Manchester so booked to see them.
I have never been to the deaf Institute though have threatened many a time. I noticed it was a late show so I booked to stay over. The venue is upstairs at a student type bar/club just off Oxford Road. I was quite surprised when I got up there, there was a purpose built stage in a ballroom type room with an old cinema style seating/viewing area at the back, which was very ornate. There is also a small glass fronted area set up some steps to the left.
Whilst going up I saw a guy who I recognised, we looked at each other as if to say 'I know you from somewhere' we had a chat he's just one of the many faces that does this circuit of gigs and has been at a lot of shows I've done this year.

First up was an Elvis impersonator who was ok really but his band were shite! Next was Hotpants Romance a band I know and have seen a few times before, always entertaining too.
Vivian Girls came on about 11.30, three typical American girls, very gracious and polite. The guitar sound on the album is very muffled and I wondered if they could recreate that on stage. I think the production on the record makes the sound that way and their live sound is more standard. They are pretty good musicians though and some of the songs they really got a good fuzz on the guitar. As they were playing the last song Cassie put her guitar on the floor using a load of feedback went over and took the bass off Ali, who in turn went and took over from Katy on drums. She then picked up Cassie's guitar and they carried on having swapped instruments, cool.
Enjoyed these as their enthusiasm for their work was very apparent. This was the last gig of the year so next up will work on 'True Toil and a list of my fave shows of the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

It's been a while since I've read yr blogs! They've been getting a lot of mention in the indie media here. Unfortunately they don't really stand out for me.

Yeah, I can't believe the year is almost over already! I'm going to have a separate list for Von Iva or else they will take up the list. :)

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home