Thursday, July 30, 2009

Half Term Report 09 pt2

As I said previously even though gigs have been fewer this year cd purchases have held up. Here's a list of my fave albums so far this year done alphabetically.



Airborne Toxic event. S/T - An album that lives up to the hype.



Coathangers. Scramble - Love this quirky little record at times reminiscent of early 52's with dual female vocal.



The Dead Weather. Horehound - Jack White and Alison Mosharts' collaboration says it all.



Decemberists. The Hazards of Love. - Another superb set from Colin Moloy they just don't make a bad record.



Dials. S/T - A great slice of psych country rock



Julie Dorian. I can wonder what you did with your day - Canadian singer songwriter, a quirky folky piece



PJ Harvey & John Parish. A woman a man walked by - Anything Polly does is fine by me.



The Horrors. Primary Colours - Ok ok, I hold my hands up here, I was very dismissive of this lot at first I thought they were a marketing joke. My cynical nature has been dented by what is a very fine second album. I admit now I like this bunch.



The Low Anthem. Oh my God Charlie Darwin. This years Fleet Foxes?? probably not but it is a very good album



Conner Oberst and The Mystic Valley Band. Outer South - I love this probably my fave record of the year sounds like Dylan has taken happy pills.



Pains of being pure at heart. S/T - Slightly twee pop rock but I still love it



School of Seven Bells. Alpinisms - One band I did get to see earlier in the year a dense sonic sound with dreamy vocal, it works.



Silversun Pickups. Swoon - Here's a rarity a band follows a very good debut with a second that is imo a better more accomplished album good on 'em.



Sonic Youth. The Eternal - This is a real return to form even though Rather Ripped was a fine record this just sounds much fresher amazing to think they've been doing it for 30 years thereabouts.



Super Furry Animals. Dark Days/Light Years - Why the Furrys are so overlooked is astonishing, ok last album was not totally up to standard but again a great return to form here.


So there you go I've probably missed some stuff I haven't paid enough attention to and I sure there will be plenty to yelp about during the second half of the year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd add:

The Lemonheads - Varshons
Alela Diane - To Be Still
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
Dark was the Night compilation
Sparklehorse et al - Dark Night of the Soul
Bonnie Prince Billy - Beware
Beirut - March Of The Zapotec/Holland

(I think they were all this year) but my favourite thing is probably still Bon Iver - Blood Bank...

Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:32:00 pm  
Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

Thanks Julia
I do have the Alela Diane album but probably haven't paid it as much attention as I should.
The Beirut album is on the shopping list as is Bonnie Prince Billy.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:14:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home