Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Poppy & The Jezebeles

Central Station, Wrexham. 20/8/08.


I've been wanting to see these since I bought their mini album last year. Poppy are four young girls from the Midlands who play light piano driven pop songs with a monotone vocal.

With this gig being in Wrexham I'd arranged to stay with my sister Ruth which is really handy.

I got to Wrexham in plenty of time to drop my stuff of have a coffee and get into town. Did my usual ritual of pre checking the venue. The main band tonight were the Death Set so I was not sure what sort of crowd would be there. It was a Wednesday night and there was a football match going on in town too.
Come time for doors there were two young girls stood outside and myself. We went in and the show for this one was in the upstairs bar as opposed to the main stage.
It wasn't a big crowd probably only about 20 - 30 people. First band on were 'Mother of Six' a local Wrexham band who Sean had mentioned to me a while back. They weren't bad musically but I wasn't keen on the singer.

Poppy came up next. I really liked their EP last year and especially 'lips of Cleopatra' which has such an infectious piano riff in it.
Lead singer is Molly who sings a monotone style which suits their style very well. They opened with their new single UFO, which wasn't on the album. The set was all new material so I didn't recognise any of. All sounding good and they are interesting to watch. They did finish on 'Lips' though which was super.
With all the new material in the bank I hope they can get a full album out soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home