Monday, August 11, 2008

Drive By Truckers

Manchester Academy 2. 8/8/08.


In truth DBT are not particularly my thing but I thought I'd go see them as I quite like their latest album. They do have a good live rep though. They are a six piece southern American rock band the main focus though is on the 2 main guitarists and the bass player.



The support act was an Aussie singer songwriter who wasn't bad in truth. He ended his set by saying "enjoy DBT and boy can these guys drink".

DBT came on with two of them carrying bottles of JD. One of them being the only female member the bassist a Ms Tucker as it happens!!
They launched into the set song after song. They barely broke between tunes and played a very big set.

The guitarist I was in front of was an excellent musician too, ok he had all the posses, southern American rock style!. Could back it up though. I did like Ms Tucker as well, Ah! flashback!! :[] she had an interesting bass style. Yes they did drink their way through the bottles of Jack announcing "excuse us we haven't had a drink since soundcheck" a bit cliched but...
A band that is good to watch in fairness. I can't say anything bad about them really. Their sound was good and loud but pitched correctly so was just right. Good musicians, rattled through a long set, so a value factor. Just the fact that southern rock isn't for me, if you like this type of band then yeah go see 'em. For me though, nah!

Question here is if this isn't my type of thing then why did I go and see them? Well when I booked the gig there was tumbleweed drifting down gig street so it was the only band around to see that I could actually make it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home