Thursday, July 17, 2008

Laura Veirs

Telfords Warehouse, Chester, 14/6/08.

Wasn't sure whether I was going to go to this. I was going to see how my eye felt on the day. Though to miss Laura playing in Chester was an opportunity not to be missed, so I think I always knew the answer.

My friend Tim had asked me get him and his girlfriend Bev tickets too. I'd put a couple of Laura's tracks on a mix tape I'd done for him (Yeah an actual C90 tape!!). He'd liked them and when I told him LV would be playing in Chester he decided to come along, even though she was only solo acoustic.

A bit complicated as they were away on holiday until the day of the gig. I duly got the tickets and posted them to Bev's address, hoping they would get them ok.
I got to Telfords about 7:30 and walked straight in. There were quite a few people there though. They had put out the dreaded seating too, so I bought a drink and took up my customary position on stood on the right. There was no sigh of Tim and after a while I started to wonder whether he'd got the tickets ok.

At about 8:10 the support came on 'Led to Sea' basically a girl called Alex and her viola and looping pedals. I wasn't sure about her, moderately entertaining I suppose. Halfway through her set Tim and Bev turned up.

Laura came on at just gone 9 and opened with a super version of 'Wandering Kind'. It was a very different set than the Night & Day gig earlier in the year. She played more of 'Meteors' than 'Saltbreakers' I think. At the back end of the set she played a bunch of traditional country/folk/blues numbers. Similar to Kristin's 'Murder Mystery and Goodnight' which I really enjoyed. Some she played with a banjo too. She brought Alex out to help with these numbers on viola as well which added to them very well.

Great to see LV playing so close to home excellent as usual too, though I don't think Tim was too enamoured, Philistine!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

When I saw Laura at Cafe Du Nord a while back a bunch of people pulled up the tables on the side to the front of the stage. Granted her songs are more relaxed style but I don't like it either. Oh well, if anything, turned out that among the seated were her parents visiting.

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home