Monday, August 07, 2006

East Coast Shows. (Updated)

Ok I've been putting this off till I've come down to earth
How do I explain this trip without going over the top ?
The fact is those 3/4 days were the most insane of my life. Ok that may be overstatement but it was summed up to me by Garrett. We're in a bar in NYC 2am he just looks at me and says "you know what, we're not gonna be able to explain this to other people are we" Without going over the top, which would be easy to do, that sums it up. I think I'll just do a list of highlights cuz a detailed account would take too long.
Aw damn! the boards down we were told it was gonna be down from Sun till Tues but I feel lost without it. So a more indepth review here I think.
PHILLY. 31/7/06
My tight schedule with my flights went like a dream. No probs whatsoever, so I arrive in Philly on time approx 1:30 pm. Get a taxi straight to the hotel litteraly dump my stuff and head out to find the venue. The bloody place takes some finding too but I eventually get there about 2:30 pm. Typical for S-K it's in a dodgy part of town too. There are 2 girls sat outside the place one I now know as Sharron an S-K veteran of 10 years. Anyway we just sit and chat for a while then at about 3:30 ish a taxi pulls up outside and out steps Corin she just smiles at us and says Hi. About half an hour later the Rogers Sisters turn up and have a chat with us, I tell 'em I love their album and can't wait to see them live. Eventually Andy Garrett and Korina turn up so go thru the introductions ect, turns out they had turned up much earlier and got moved on by the club people. Before they did though they put our names down on the will call list so we were basically at the front of the queue. On doors we leg it in and get prime spot in front of Corin to middle stage. The Rogers Sisters play a good set mostly the new album so I know most of it, yeah their pretty good. The ladies eventualy come on and open with Start Together which wasace it's the first time I've seen 'em play it too. Anyway a great set Drama too, Things you say, Ironclad and Light Rail. Absolutly soaked by the end. We buy the limited edition poster that's on sale I also get the dog t-shirt. After about half hour the ladies appear to say Hi and sighn autographs so we walk over as were by Corin she looks up points at me and says "hey I know you from England don't I" How f**kin cool was that? I have a quick chat with her saying I'll be in DC and NYC and Portland too. She assures me it'll be cooler in Portland. After that the 4 of us go for a meal in a Chinese restaurant the others had been to the night b4, I eventually get to bed at 3am. A 26.5 hour day.

DC. 1/8/06
Up at 6:30 am to meet the others to get the 8am bus to DC. I stroll uptown and stop of at some "diner" and have some breakfast just some scrambelled egg and veg, coffee, that'll do. Find the bus stop book in, sit and wait for Andy ,Korina and Garrett. They turn up soon enough so we board the bus and set off. We're all still a little tired so we just drift in and out sleep for most of the journey. Arrive in DC, jeez it's friggin hot! as it turns out our Hotels are 2 mins apart. I book into mine at about 12:30. I get a call from Andy saying they can't book in till 1:30 . Anyway without too much detail they shower at my place then book in. So we set off for the venue the 9:30 Club. Arrive ther about 1:30 ish and get about b6th in line, just good enough. Avery long very hot day I struggled at times it had to be said. The Rogers Sisters say helo again and look at us as if to say "you're all nuts". Had to take on so much water and keep mobile/awake/sane, but we got there. A pain getting in though they set up 2 lines and searched every bag being taken in so we ended up well left on Carries side but still at the front of the stage. The Rogers rocked again, I think most of the S-K crowd are starting to take to them now. Ha told 'em.
So there we are waiting for the the ladies to come on, when some neanderthall walks up to Carries mic and says out the building now people, fire risk the building is about to blow. Yeah f**k off get S-K on now we think. Hmmm then he starts gettin' serious and the realiseation the gig is cancelled is just there. When we eventually filter out what is there left to do but get to the Hotel bar and drink like people wanting a drink. Garrett (wisely) states that this is the first (and only) "down time" we will get.

NYC 2/8/06
After a descusion the night before about getting to NYC as early as poss, I decide to get up early and see if I can get an early train. I get a taxi to Union Station (a superb grandiose place it has to be said) get there about 7am. I get boked on the 7:30 train to NY. Arrive in NYC at 10:50 and get a taxi straight to the Webster Hall, get there at 11:10 and whose sat on the steps? Sharron how the f**k did she get there before me? She informs me that the DC show is resceduled for tomorrow night(thank god it's before Portland) So do I try to get back to DC? it'll only mean shifting my flight 24hrs book a hotel and travel back by train, I'll think on it. It's an absolutely scorching day 100+. I text Andy to say I'm here and to get to me asap. They eventually get to me at 1:30 ish so I'm then relieved to go and book into my hotel which is only 5 blocks up from the venue. Another long day in sweltering heat broken by the odd jaunt for 20 mins to get a drink. At 4-5pm people start making the descision and try to change their travel plans to get back to DC for tomorrow nights show. I speak to the Rogers Sisters and they say they will not be with them and that the ladies are gonna -play an extra long set. I try but I just can't change my plans and at about 5pm decide to miss it. This time they split the queue into two lines hard tix (Korina and I) and "will call". They also put a sign up confirming what we suspected, that the show is being filmed for DVD release. At doors we get in and get prime spot again, along with 15 bottles of water cuz it's still very hot and this is gonna be tough one to get through. They open with Start Together which is great they kinda phase it in so you don't know what song it isat first. Other highlights Drama, Light Rail, Hot Rock, Youth Decay and end on- Dig me out. They play 2 encores which include Ballad, CTD, Get Up, W&G and Joey. After the show the others pile back to my hotel to change and shower before heading off home. Garrett has an hour or so, so we pop into a little bar I spotted earlier in the day for a couple of drinks. At about 2:30 we say our goodbyes and a "see you in Portland next week".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like it's a killer time going on over there! Maybe one day when I'm leet in the ways of teh world I'll go on tour with Norma Jean...although the likelihood is that they won't be going by then, but ya know, I'm sure there'll be someone.

So yeah, anyway...absolutely made up for you that it's all pulling off with no hitches so far *fingers crossed, touch wood, salt over the shoulder, slap a jew* with exception being that DC gig. Did you go throw eggs at Bush's house? Did ya??

Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:49:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home