Monday, March 15, 2010

Cate Le Bon

Central Station, Wrexham, 2/3/10.

A late decision to go to this though I don't know why as I loved Cate's album from last year. So I got the train to Wrexham as it's much quicker than the bus at that time of the day.Wasn't sure whether there were going to be many attending this with it being a Wed night and loads of footie going on. When I got into the venue there were a few people hangin' round but they were probably the support acts and Cate's band. Most of them were as it turned out.

First up was a young girl backed by a guy with a laptop, yeah well felt sorry for her really.

Next up were a Welsh band called Y Niwl, who played a sort of surf rock set totally instrumental. They were quite good too.

Cate started to set up on the tiny stage which in truth was to small for her and the band, but she just got on with it. Her band included a couple of members of the support band on guitar and bass. Her set comprised of most of the album and a couple of songs I didn't recognise. She was fairly laid back in her delivery but I think that's just the way she sings. That saying her voice was as haunting as it is on the album and the dramatic soundscapes were well performed. Because of the tight space onstage at times one of the guys had to kneel down to play keys as Cate played guitar. In all very enjoyable gig, on my way out I bought a 7" single with a hand painted sleeve by Cate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home