Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wolf Parade

The Ruby Lounge, Manchester, 28/11/08

It's been three years since the release of 'Queen Mary' so the new Wolf Parade album was eagerly awaited. Along with the chance to see them live. They didn't announce many dates but this one at the Ruby Lounge in Manchester was one of them.
I've only been to the RB on a couple of occasions but quite like it even if they do have one of those metal barrier thing's. There was a decent queue waiting when I arrived as the show was sold out. Some people were not aware of this and didn't have tickets. In retrospect they could have probably sold out the Academy.
I took up my usual position Corins side front right of the stage with my pint of the black Irish stuff. The support was from a Scandinavian/American three piece band called 'Dag for Dag'. They were ok and the lead singer/guitarist was an interesting young lady who wore a silver headband and leggings. They were intriguing enough for me to buy their EP later.
Wolf Parade came on and opened with the lead track off 'Queen Mary', 'You are a runner and I am my fathers son'. They are very key driven and singer/keyboardist Spencer Krug sets up front center of the stage. He also balances himself on his stool using his knee. It was pretty packed up front so I had to put my drink on the speaker to my right and a kind young man kept handing it to me every now and then so I could have a swig. I had actually let his girlfriend slip in to the front so he was paying me back.
Wolf Parade ran through all of the best stuff off their two albums and were excellent doing so. I think they were a bit overwhelmed to have such a packed venue and an attentive audience. Most songs were sung along too by the people in the first couple of rows.

A really enjoyable night and great to see such a band that only come round once in three/four years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home