Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fave Albums of 2011

Well it's this time of year again, I know I haven't been here for a while but hey busy life etc.
I do intend to start a new format in the new year though where I intend to do a weekly post. It may be about a gig an album/song I've come across or something culinary or whatever may seem important enough to log. As this was set up to be an online diary that it shall be more geared to.
Enough rambling, so fave records of 2011. A pretty good year me-thinks most of the good stuff this year has been from known artist though. That said the winner is a sublime debut mature beyond belief.
1.Miles Kane - Colour of the trap.

A superb album full of upbeat 60’s pop elegance. Walker-esque balladry and Mersey beat meanderings. All the more astonishing for a debut album. Every song is a belter.I feel I should say more about this but I think I've summed it up quite well. A local lad from the Wirral too!




2 P J Harvey = Let England Shake.

This seems to topping every list this year and so it should another superb release from Polly. Not a concept album as such but the subject matter is all related to England’s relationship with war and conflict. LES won Polly her second Mercury prize and confirms her as the most important British female artist.
3 The Horrors - Skying
The Horrors come of age on this their third album. Far more mature than their Mercury nominated second in my opinion. It's the sound of a band who know what they want and where their going with it. They even go on extended prog meanderings and get away with it.
4 . Wild Flag - Wild Flag

I think this was pencilled in as a top five before I even heard it. With Carrie and Janet working together again and the addition of long time fave Mary Timony it couldn't’t fail, or could it? Thankfully it doesn’t. A full on straight at ya slice of rock n roll. Phew! Shake shimmy shake.
5. Baxter Dury - Happy Soup

Contains probably my fave single of the year ‘Isabel’. The Dury drawl and sideways wit is very evident throughout the record. Littered with wonderful balladry aided by some fine backing vocals. A fine album that just feels so comfortable in the ears.
6 Deerhoof - V's Evil
Probably the hoof's most accessible album but fear not still some barking mad signatures. The thing about DH is that they put a smile on your face, well mine anyway. I think it's because they are true masters of their own trade.
7 Jeffrey Lewis - A Turn in the dream songs.
Must admit I'm fairly new to Mr Lewis material, but I love this record. The deadpan delivery goes super with the witty songs all on a sparse acoustic soundtrack.
8 The Kills - Blood Pressures
Jamie and Alison are back with another spot on album. Full of good heavy beats and edgy guitar riffs. Thing about the Kills is they sound like the Kills and have a sound all of their own.Still one of the best live bands around too.
9 Dengue Fever - Cannibal Courtship
A super hypnotic psych-out from Algerian/ Californian based band. Think these are my new discovery of the year. Think I heard Gid play a song on 6 Music and investigated further. I had to import the album but glad I did.
10 Victorian English Gentlemans Club - Bag of meat
Veg club return as mad as ever. I think it's the reason I love this band as they're not always easy on the ear but after a while you get it. This is a slightly more beefy album for them (get it!!) the drums seem a bit more heavy the the last record a sound which seems to suit the chaos. Carry on Gentlemen.
11. Drive by truckers - Go Go Boots
Really good album this not as rocky as their earlier work but the songs are good helped along
by some great grooves.
12. The Black Keys - El Camino
Garage rock at its best. This album would have probably made the top ten but it only came out a couple of weeks ago.
13. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues.
The much anticipated follow up to their great debut album. Luckily they didn't disappoint.
Even though it's as good as their first somehow it didn't have the same impact, if that
makes sense.
14 Young Knives - Ornaments from the silver arcade.
Always had a sneaky regard for YK. I just like their no nonsense approach. Good driving hooks
and melody's
15. Iness Mezel - Beyond the Trance.
Another new one to me cant remember how it was recommended. An Algerian singer backed
by some great African guitar and rhythms.
16. The Time & Space Machine - Turns you on.
Weirdly I know very little about this record and can't find much either. Can't even remember
where I got it from. It's a compilation of serious psych wig outs, but its great listening.
17 The Lovely Eggs - The Lovely Eggs
Great little quirky album from the Manchester duo. Some singalong pop chants, grungy guitar
and the unforgettable "sausage roll thumb"
18. Jonny - Jonny
A collaboration between Eros Childs (Gorkys) and Norman Blake (Fannies) Sounds exactly as
you would expect, rather good.
19. Beirut - The Riptide
Third Beirut outing (I think) sees Mr Condon make use of trumpet this time and makes it sound
cool. Though only a short album about 33 mins it,s a lovely one.
20. Yuck - Yuck
Debut from London four piece. Full of bright breezy indie pop. I like the light fuzzy sound
they use on the guitar. Full of good driving indie pop goodness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home