Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fave Albums of 2010

Here we are again end of another cd buying 'season'. Little down on previous years, not due to finances but I've just found it difficult getting hold of the more obscure stuff for some reason. I've then given up and just added it to 'the list'.
An interesting year really as there have been a high proportion of very good albums mostly from already know artists, and artist I've had my ear on waiting for for a full long player. My main problem was there was no absolute standout so I'm not putting this list not in order of preference just a list of my preferred listens of the year. In honesty they're all as good as each other.







John & Jehn - Time for the Devil.
French duo return with a more poppy sound but still retain that Gallic eccentricity. The songs are really strong and make the album flow very well. Stand outs are the title opener with a wonderful 'countdown' bass line. 'Down our Street' is another excellent pop song , 'Vampire an eerie Gothic chant. Another great record from J&J.










Lonelady - Nerve Up.
Having followed Julie since I saw her supporting Quasi in '06 her debut album finally lands. Well worth the wait too. Sharp guitar sharp vocal at times not coherent but all the same a really good sound The title tells its story it's nervy, up and down but has a real heart and soul. Glad Julie has got this record out finally.










The Jim Jones Revue - Burning your house down.
Rock'n'roll as it should be straight at ya from the hip. Pure energy from the word go. JJ's vocal screams and rips into every song full with honkytonk keys. As with all good records it flows well. If Little Richard and Jerry Lee were making music today this is how it would sound.








Warpaint - The Fool.
The band of the moment, a lot of hype surrounding these ladies. The LA based four piece serve up dreamy shoegaze pop. Its main attribute is that you lose yourself and get sucked into every song. The main thing for me is that they were very good live and nailed it spot on. Debut of the year.









Stornoway - Beachcombers Windowsill.
Sun baked 'nu folk' courtesy of not an Arran jumper glad quintet but an Oxford based sextet. Excellent song content, there ain't a dud on here and they all amble along with great timing. Super sounding record.









Foals - Total life forever.
When I saw these as a support band to the Noisettes (who?) 3-4 years ago I picked up on them straight away and eagerly awaited their debut. When it landed to me it was so disappointing, I thought they're a better band than that. The deserved Mercury nominated second is the band I've seen on three occasions. I'm so pleased they got it together on this supper record.










Spoon Transference
Spoon return with another very accomplished album. Their typical soulful rock style still very evident. Consistent as ever Spoon seem to never make a bad record. Stand out track is 'Mystery Zone' with its wonderful hypnotic rhythm and Brit Daniels distinctive vocal. Another great release from the Texan band.







The Coral - Butterfly House
Never been sure whether I like the Coral or not, but this is a very good collection of songs. It has the trademark sound, 60's psych folk. I think the songs may be stronger this time though and they seem to have a confident swagger that I don't think they have captured before.









Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record.
BSS return with a much better collection of songs than their previous effort in my opinion. When they get it right they're a great band using their typical full on sound and sonic assault. Like all good records though it's the songs themselves that make the record stand out. Good to have them back on form.









Field Music - Measure.
Another band returning after solo projects. An ambitious double album of superb pop songs all with the Brewis brothers unique stamp. The only thing is being a double album the odd weaker song creeps in. If this had been condensed into a 12 - 14 song single disc it would have won album of the year hands down. Still a great record though.







Grinderman - Grinderman 2.
Classy mean bluesy rock courtesy of the prolific Nick Cave. I think I prefer this record to their debut just seem a bit more meaner to me. Lyrically it's innuendo is at times hilarious but Cave is probably the only guy in the world who could and does get away with it.
Other noticeables this year :-
Corin Tucker Band - 1000 years
The Soundcarriers - Celeste
Quasi - American Gong
Effi Briest - Rhizomes
Call The Doctor - CTD
I Will Be - Dum Dum Girls
In all a good year I could have listed another 10 - 15 albums here but I won't so roll on 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home